Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Katakana font for Japanese learners

So here's something interesting: a company from the U.K. has invented a font for katakana that incorporates English letters into the characters themselves. The idea is that this would make it easier for people learning the language to remember what sound each symbol represents.  Here's the article. 

Katakana is the Japanese phonetic alphabet - each character represents a different syllable, as opposed to kanji, where each character represents a word. From what I understand, the two are usually mixed together in Japanese writing.

I don't know Japanese myself, but I'd imagine that the written part is one of the most intimidating things about learning it. I figure something like this would help a lot with the beginning stages. It's an interesting idea. Kinda makes me wonder what the Japanese would think?

No comments:

Post a Comment